Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Scenes from a lunch room

Today I ate lunch with my Big Brother Big Sister’s “little”. As we were visiting another little girl joined in on the conversation. I recognized the other little girl as I’ve watched her do many “tricks” on the bars with my little during recess. We were discussing their daily school routine and I asked what they were working on in their computer lab. My little said she was working on her penguin power point presentation. Wait, what? Power point in the third grade! I was teaching my adult students power point last night. I had no idea.

Anyway, here’s what went down over chili dogs (for them) and a chef salad (for me)…

Little: "I can’t believe you were teaching old people power point."

Me: "I can’t believe you already know power point."

Little: "uuuuuhhh yeah, we’ve been doing power point since the second grade."

Me: "Well, do you know why I teach old people how to use power point?"

Little: "No"

Me: "We didn’t have computers in school when I was your age. Many people were only exposed to computers in the last 10 or 15 years."

Little: "What! You didn’t have computers in elementary school?"

Me: "Nope, so now we have classes at the college to teach older people how to use computers."

Other little girl: "I can’t imagine not having computers in school. I wouldn’t be able to go to school without computers. Wow! You must be really old."

Little: "Are you finished eating yet, I’m ready to go play on the bars…"

Me: silence...I was still too stunned from the you must be really old statement

Whoa.

4 Comments:

Blogger cougchick said...

Oh that is sad. I get that almost daily from my boys. I'm starting to think it too. LOL. They were asking me today if we wore shoes when I was in school. I was mortified!
Thanks for your encouraging words on my blog. Sadly, I am not LID, just wishing to be. I would love to chat with ya. Just click on my profile and it should show an email link.
Catch ya later,
LeeAnne

5:06 PM  
Blogger Polar Bear said...

So are you sitting in your rocking chair, wrapped in a shawl as you post tonight? You ol' lady you.

It is funny what kid's perception of age is. The older I get the 'funnier' they get.

5:53 PM  
Blogger C's Mom said...

Amazing how ancient and crotchety we are, huh? ;0)

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you are really old, what does that make me???

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home