Tuesday, April 17, 2007

One year ago today...

I walked into my local hospital, with my agency’s newspaper advertisement in one hand and a pen/notepad in the other. I wasn’t too sure what to expect, I was nervous, and I was alone. As I think back, I know now that this was the day my life changed forever.

It all started in November 2004. I had watched an Oprah episode on China adoption. Lisa Ling was the guest and I believe she was promoting the National Geographic DVD “China’s Lost Girls”. I remember watching the episode, talking about it with my sister, Lexi, and storing it in the back of my mind thinking if I don’t have children by the time I’m 35, this might be an option for me. I was 30 at the time.

Fast forward to around September 2005. My mom and I were visiting and she mentioned that our friend Sandy, from church, was getting ready to go to China and bring her baby home. What baby? I didn’t know Sandy was adopting? So, I followed Sandy’s journey to China via internet. I was mesmerized and truly moved. Following Sandy’s journey is what really started the ball rolling. Sandy was 30 something, single (at the time), and wanting to be a mother. I was 30 something, single, and wanting to be a mother. The possibility of international adoption became very real. A few months later, I had the opportunity to ask Sandy & her family some questions relating to her adoption at a “tea party” my Mom hosted for the ladies of our two families (and nephew Jackson). Later, I thought, Why am I waiting until the age of 35? Why not now? I then started researching adoption seriously, but I didn’t tell anyone. After researching, I found an agency willing to accept me as a client, but not until May 2007 (as in next month!).

About that time, my mom popped over one Sunday morning as she was heading out of town. She had saved a newspaper advertisement announcing an adoption seminar at our local hospital. She said, “Why don’t you go and just see what it’s about, maybe you’ll meet some people who are adopting”. I didn’t really want to go. Why? I already had a plan! I had an agency picked out and a timeline of when I would start this process, but I suppose curiosity got the best of me and I attended the seminar on April 17, 2006.

When I arrived, there were around 40 couples in the room. Some were waiting families; others were there to learn about adoption. We watched a video, then my agency representative explained the process, and we listened to a family who had been there, done that. During the Q&A, I asked two questions: Does your agency accept single applicants and, Do you have any single openings at this time? Kathy, the agency representative, responded, Yes, we accept single applicants. Why don’t you see me after and we’ll visit. Kathy explained that the day prior one of her singles had withdrawn from the program. She hadn’t advertised the coveted spot via internet yet and was hoping a local family would fill it.

I happened to be the next single person who crossed her path.

When Kathy asked me if I wanted the spot, I started to cry. As Oprah would say, It was the UGLY cry. I remember apologizing left and right, embarrassed that I had lost it and sure all the happy couples in the room thought I was an IDIOT…but whatever. I had a spot with an agency! Looking back, that moment was worthy of the UGLY cry. As many of you know, China recently closed the door to singles beginning May 2007.

I walked out of the seminar with a big fat notebook of adoption paperwork and a new plan. My life changed forever.

6 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

What a meant to be moment. I love when life lines up and you just can't deny that greater things were happening under the surface. I was wondering how China's new laws would affect the single gals. I am so happy for you that you will get your daughter.

3:58 PM  
Blogger C's Mom said...

The timing of that little miracle is something to be eternally thankful for! Whew :0)

4:27 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

That is amazing! What a blessing. I almost went with the same agency. I wish you the best!

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet story. It is amazing where life takes you. A friend sent me your blog. We have the same LID. I have a 5 year old whom I adopted from Guatemala. I look forward to following your journey.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

What amazing year it's been for you! And the most amazing part of your journey is just around the bend!

6:58 AM  
Blogger cougchick said...

Wow! That sent a chill. The stars are all lined up for you Sara. You'll see your little Huckleberry soon ;)

LeeAnne

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home