Wednesday, December 13, 2006

"The Story Of An Adopted Child..."

You know, I’m not really a ‘poetry loving’ kind of person. In fact, I’ve been known to say that I hate it. I will say this though, the only real experience I’ve had with poetry is through a hated English Literature torture class…ewwww….horrid. When I read something, I don’t want to spend hours analyzing, breaking it down, and guessing what the meaning is, it’s just not my thing. Know what I mean?

No offense to any fabulous English teachers out there…wink…wink…

Enter adoption poems. Love them. They are so sweet, easy to ‘get’, and oh so meaningful to me.

This was one of Mother Teresa’s favorite poems and I’ve read that she would give a copy to each mother who adopted a child from the orphanage from which she worked.



"The Story Of An Adopted Child..."



There were two women who never knew each other,
One you do not remember, the other you call Mother.

The first one gave you life,
The second taught you to live it.

One of them gave you your nationality,
The other one gave you your name.

One of them gave you the seed for growth,
The other gave you a goal.

One of them provided you with emotions,
The other calmed your fears.

One of them saw your first smile,
The other wiped away your tears.

One of them left you, it was all that she could do...
The other prayed for a child and the Lord led her to you.

And now you ask the inevitable question,
"What molded me, heredity or environment?"

Neither the one nor the other, but only two different loves.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sar-It's beautiful!!I read it w/ tears running down my face!!Marlea

2:52 PM  
Blogger ~Kristen said...

Saw this once before... I love it!!

P.s... thanks for sharing the Chinese lessons.. I will look forward to them!

3:52 PM  
Blogger C's Mom said...

I've always loved that one.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Special K said...

One of my favorites, too.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Headmeister said...

Just beautiful!

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps if we would have had "Mike" as our English teacher, we would have loved poetry also! But I agree with you, this one is beautiful!
(How come we like & dislike lots of the same things??)

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the beautiful poem. I am sorry you missed out on one of the most meaningful expressions of language. You are a poet, Sara. You speak from your heart. That is the life of the poet. You're blogging your heart thoughts, that's poetry! Thank you again for posting Mother Teresa, she is one of my favorite people.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Mom, I am a spitting image of you! That's why :-) They don't call me cynthia jr. for nothing ya know...

Also, cookie exchange with my wednesday night girls this coming week...I'm busting out a batch of the famous cookies. Hope they turn out as good as yours do!

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home