Monday, December 04, 2006

My "little"

My friend, Liz, is the area coordinator for Big Brothers/Big Sisters and asked me last spring if I would be interested in volunteering for their school lunch program this year. The school lunch program is a bit different than the traditional mentor program in that I will only meet with my “little” one time per week and will spend time with her during her lunch hour at school. So anyway, I said yes to volunteering, filled out the application, submitted references, went through a couple of interviews, and was finally accepted as a “big” for this school year.

Today, I finally received the call that I have been matched with a “little” and will meet her for lunch next Tuesday. Here’s what I know:

  • Her name and school
  • She is 8 & in the 3rd grade
  • Her Dad is raising her alone and she has a younger sister who is also in the program
  • She is not in the program because she has behavior problems, etc., her Dad just really wants her to have some positive female role models in her life
  • School lunch is $2.00 nowadays!

Cute.

Should be interesting and fun!



3 Comments:

Blogger C's Mom said...

Very cool. There is one lucky little 8-year-old out there!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Calico Sky said...

Sara
That's really lovely. How nice to be able to be a female role model for a little girl without a mom in the home. Hope you have a great first meeting!

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara! I'm so excited for you and your "little"! It will be fun to be back at Borah Elementary! Suppose there are any teachers left that you'll remember?

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home