Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I survived **updated**

I survived my first night of teaching.

Whew...

**update**

So, I finally have a moment…just a moment to catch my breath.

My one and only yearly fundraising event, which I am responsible for at work, is next Saturday. So until then it’s non-stop for me...I’m in “event mode” if you will.

Do I fell like I’ve bitten off more than I can chew lately? Yes, but what’s new. I do this all the time and I have no idea why I do this to myself.

How on earth did I get to this point?

Well, I work full-time…like most everyone else.

Then, I decided that since I worked at a college and could obtain my Master’s degree for cheap cheap cheap I thought I’d be a fool not to. So, I start working Master’s in Education, majoring in Professional-Technical/Technology Education (PTTE).

Then, I met with the PTTE division chair to make sure that I am on the right track with my graduate studies and while we are visiting she tells me that I should teach a class and to let her know when I was ready. Gulp. Ok.

Well, I didn’t feel exactly ready, but thought I would give it a whirl anyway…I mean, I thought I’d better figure out if I even like teaching before I get too far into my master’s program.

So, I applied as a part-time instructor and the next thing I know I’m being offered the chance to teach not one but two classes this semester. Now granted, I accepted a part-time position as an instructor with the idea that I was “getting my foot in the door” with the hopes that sometime soon after the baby comes a full-time faculty position will open up and I might, just might, have a chance of being hired. I only wanted to teach one course this semester, but my division chair asked if I could teach two and did I have the guts to say no? hell no! I didn’t want her to think I wasn’t flexible and couldn’t handle it…remember the goal here is to become full-time faculty.

So, here I am teaching Intro to Computers on Tuesday nights and Intro to Entrepreneurship on Monday nights, working full-time and going to school part-time. It makes me tired just writing it. I’m not complaining…just feeling overwhelmed and can’t wait until this damn event is over so that I only have to worry about prepping for my classes!!

p.s. I figured out last night why I want to become a teacher when I know I won’t be paid squat….first, I know that I will make a difference in the life of a student this semester. After meeting 14 of them last night, I know it in my heart. Two, you can’t beat the work schedule as a single mom to be!!

Finally. I feel like my life has a purpose.

14 Comments:

Blogger Calico Sky said...

What are you teaching? I do a lot of teaching in my job, exhausting but joyous!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SARA!!!!!!
How did it go???? How many students???? Did anyone bring the teacher an apple????
You are so great....

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sar, When I got my new catalog of new courses you were the first one I looked up TWICE!!

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you have any more chinese lessions?

2:56 PM  
Blogger C's Mom said...

Good for you! I know how great it can feel to find your 'niche' at long last.

Whew...your schedule does make me tired though!

4:54 PM  
Blogger M and M said...

I am tired just reading about your life - you must be exhausted living it!!

I am glad the teaching is going well and after this weekend you will be able to breathe again!

5:19 PM  
Blogger ~Kristen said...

I'm tired just reading about your schedule. Good luck with your first semester!!! GET SOME REST!!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Joannah said...

What an exciting opportunity for you! Teaching is a wonderful profession. It's got its wart, but overall it's so rewarding. Good luck with your studies and your teaching!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Joannah said...

warts, I meant warts - drawbacks, etc... ;-)

5:50 PM  
Blogger Joannah said...

warts, I meant warts - drawbacks, etc... ;-)

5:50 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Wow, I'm so impressed with how much you are juggling right now. On the positive side, you're keeping so busy that the wait will most likely fly by!

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

teaching is groovy. it's how I earn my keep.

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sar, I just came from D's blog & thanks for pointing that out!! I was beginning to think he was working the longest shift EVER!!!!:)
P.S. I got your message & will call you this week.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home