Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Are ya kidding me?


So, this is disturbing to me...my adoption medical appointment is scheduled for next Tuesday and I am seeing my old family doc, whom I haven't visited since oh..let's see...high school. Why? In short, I'm the healthy gal who sees a nurse practitioner one time per year and chooses to hit the immediate care facility for the few, if any, times per year I have the flu or a sinus infection. The nurse practitioner nor the immediate care facility qualify to complete the medical forms necessary for my adoption.

So, doc asks me to provide a copy of the immediate care records so he can look my history from the time he last saw me. Long story short, I call and request a copy of my records from immediate care and they say "no problem".

Today, I stop in to pick up my records and give them my name. Chickie poo at the front counter just hands me the envelope through the window. No questions asked, no I.D. checked, just here ya go. Now, call me crazy, but that just can't be right? My social security number, birth date, everything are on those papers. It could have been anyone who called and requested the documents and then picked them up. HELLO people...ever heard of identity theft or how bout' medical records are strictly confidential? Just doesn't seem right AT ALL!

In other medical news, the ol' family doc is being VERY supportive of the adoption physical. I sent him a letter last week and asked if I could have my blood work done ahead of time so that all results are in the day of my appointment. His office was right on it and I'll be having my blood drawn tomorrow morning after a 12 hour fast...ouch!

I've 'heard' that the medical portion of the paperchase can be somewhat of a nightmare for adoptive parents. So far so good, let's just all keep our fingers crossed that he writes LEGIBLY or else the Chinese government will probably throw my papers out the window!

2 Comments:

Blogger C's Mom said...

Ok - so it whacks me off that the NP isn't 'good' enough. Give me a break, she knows your medical history better than anyone.

Oh, and you are so right about the lack of ID...puhleeseeee!

I never thought about it. I just had my partner doc do my physical. I never considered that it would not have been valid had I had an NP do it. Grrr!

Oh well, still glad it is moving along smoothly for you :0)

6:24 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I know! According to my agency, only an MD can sign the papers that are sent to China...I didn't feel comfortable using the doc that the NP works with, I've never even met the guy. So, thankfully old family doc is on board and willing to see me...

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home